Stroke is recorded as the third cause of death and the leading cause of disability in the world. Every year, 15 million of the world’s population suffer from strokes
Stroke is recorded as the third cause of death and the leading cause of disability in the world. Every year, 15 million of the world’s population suffer from strokes. Two-thirds of them experience disability due to stroke or death. Stroke is a brain function disorder that occurs suddenly due to interference with blood flow to the brain. Approximately 85% of stroke cases are Ischemic Strokes that occur due to blockage of brain blood vessels, and the other 15% is Hemorrhagic Stroke that occurs due to rupture of cerebral blood vessels.
Stroke can happen to everyone. But there are risk factors for some people getting a stroke.
Some stroke risk factors include:
- Age above 55 years
- History of stroke in the family
- High blood pressure
- Heart rhythm disorders
- Increased fat content
- Lack of physical activity
The factors of increasing age and history of stroke in the family are risk factors that cannot be changed while other risk factors related to lifestyle are risk factors that can be controlled.
TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack) – Cursory Brain Attack
TIA is a mild stroke, temporary. Symptoms that occur last a few minutes and recover in less than 24 hours. About 10% of TIA cases within three months will develop into strokes.
Time is Brain (3 hours that determine)
In blockage type stroke, within 3 hours from the beginning of the attack is the right time to get the best stroke recovery results or reduce the amount of disability to a minimum.
Recognise Stroke Symptoms:
- A feeling of weakness or paralysis of the arms and legs
- Numbness, numbness, tingling in the face, arms, body and legs.
- Balance disorders, dizziness (vertigo), difficulty walking.
- Impaired vision (sudden blindness, the darkness in one or both eyes) or field disturbance of vision.
- Enormous headaches for no apparent reason
The above symptoms usually arise suddenly. Stroke is a medical emergency if you feel or experience symptoms of a stroke, immediately contact a doctor for medical assistance.